Shetland 4ply - Indigo 05
Skein of 4-ply-weight Shetland wool yarn:
- 100% Shetland sheep’s wool
- Grown and spun in Wales, hand-dyed in South West England
- 4-ply weight (Heavy fingering weight / Light sport weight / Yarn Category 2 - Fine)
- 100g skeins: approx. 315 m per 100 g (344 yds per 3.5 oz)
- Recommended needle size: 3 mm – 3.75 mm (US 2 - 5)
- Woollen spun, 2-ply yarn
- Botanically dyed to create colourway "Indigo 05". Please note: This is not a Ro core colourway. It will not be available again in future.
This Shetland yarn is a single-flock yarn from a family-run farm in West Wales. It's strong and warm, especially as it’s been woollen spun, making it perfect for sweaters and accessories alike. It has good grip and good stitch definition, hence well-suited to colourwork, cables, and lace. It is a relatively loosely spun 2-ply yarn, so I would not recommend using it for socks.
This yarn comes as a hank, twisted into a plait-shaped skein, so it must be wound into a ball or cake before use to avoid irreconcilable tangles.
Hand wash only using cold water and pH-neutral wool wash. Avoid animated rubbing and sudden temperature changes. Although this yarn has been rinsed, it may still contain some small traces of natural dye materials. Please don’t be alarmed if a little colour runs off during the first wash.
Some indigo may lightly stain your fingers while knitting with this yarn. Although I rinse skeins thoroughly to try and reduce this as much as possible, a bit of staining (also called crocking in this case because it is caused specifically by abrasion) is part and parcel of natural indigo-dyed products.
Please contact me if you have any questions around this product. I can also take photos of different yarns or colours next to each other if that would be helpful.
Happy crafting! I hope your project is a success and gets lots of use!