BFL/Masham 4ply - Sea OOPS (50g)
50g of 4-ply-weight Bluefaced Leicester and Masham wool yarn:
- 75% Bluefaced Leicester (BFL) and 25% Masham sheep’s wool
- Grown, spun, and hand-dyed in the UK
- 4-ply weight (Fingering weight / Yarn category 1 - Super Fine)
- 100g skeins: approx. 400 m per 100 g (437 yds per 3.5 oz)
- 50g cakes: Approx. 200m per 50g (218 yds per 3.5 oz)
- Recommended needle size: 2.5mm-3.5mm (US 1 - 4)
- Worsted spun, 2-ply yarn
Dyed to create a variegated turquoise skein with hints of the original grey base.
- Please note: these skeins have a more pronounced section of darker turquoise, hence the much reduced price.
Masham are hardy sheep with lustrous but slightly coarser wool, which blend beautifully with the better-known Bluefaced Leicester sheep’s wool to create this soft, springy, plump yarn. Its natural grey shade adds a "moodiness" to whatever colour it is dyed with. Undyed, it is the perfect neutral to pair with BFL 4ply base yarns (see below). You could also strand it together with some botanically dyed yarns to make the colours more subtle or muted.
If ordered in 50g quantities, this yarn will come as a cake or yarn. Any quantities of 100g or more will be shipped as hanks, which must be wound into a ball or cake before use to avoid irreconcilable tangles.
Hand wash only using cold water and pH-neutral wool wash. Avoid animated rubbing and sudden temperature changes.
Depending on the amount of spinning oil left on the yarn, I sometimes pre-wash the yarn (even these undyed colours). Nonetheless, there may be some residual spinning oil left on the yarn, as well as little pieces of hay or grass. These will not be harmful to the maker or wearer. Please don't be alarmed if the water seems slightly cream-coloured in the first soak / wash.
Please contact me (email@example.com) if you have any questions around this product. I can also take photos of different yarns or colours next to each other if that would be helpful. Happy crafting! I hope your project is a success and gets lots of use!